Is it me or is it really that hard to explain the idea and value of thinking? About anything?
Go on argue with me
It staggers me that it is such a hard concept. And given the state of most systems we have to suffer (Airports/Politics/Supermarkets) and businesses (Kodak/Enron/Blockbuster) and individuals (Not Saying) that I come across then thinking is something that needs to happen a whole lot more.
If we break everything we experience in life down into to very simple ideas then this is about as simple as I can make it -
We have one or other of these situations.
A. A challenge
B. An opportunity
And they are ALWAYS driven by circumstances – stuff happens right?
And once we’ve identified an A or a B we have a further challenge. The closeness of A or B to us. This closeness creates real difficulty. It blinds us to what is actually going on.
“Objectivity Is Not A Role We Alone Can Own.”
It’s very hard almost impossible for us to think objectively – to be able to alter our own ‘frame’. The frame we have through which to think about the solution to an A or a B.
Closeness creates a bunch of side effects that confuse us. We defend crazy positions that we took in a different era. We become frenzied to solve the challenge we see. We protest that we know the answer to it all before we’ve even considered it – at all. We can’t describe it in the first place. We start to solve the wrong problems really well.
Let’s face it we all suffer from 4 restraints.
- Objectivity – naturally enough we are too close to ‘it’ to be able to see ‘it’.
- Impartiality – we think we know how to solve ‘it’ – before we know what ‘it’ is.
- Capability – once we figure the ‘it’ out we realise we’ve not been there before. So we can often lack the skills and general experience to deliver ‘it’.
- Capacity – we can often lack the time and space to do the real ‘it’ justice.
We also lack the creativity or experience sometimes -
- We all need a way of thinking differently if we are to progress and generate real value.
- A plan that inspires and engages everyone – not some dumb stupid document or deck.
- A way of making it happen in a way that actually happens.
- A world view that brings evidence and examples that work.
And this demands -
- Confidence in that objective team and its tools and techniques.
- Committed and conscious engagement
- Quality time dedicated to the challenge
- But above all it needs creativity, integrity and the ability to make it real.